Wet Benches inside the Wet Chemistry Room:
- ACID BENCH: Personal Protective Equipment required to be worn.
- BASE/CAUSTIC BENCH: Personal Protective Equipment required to be worn.
- ELECTROPLATING BENCH: Protective Equipment required to be worn.
- HF ACID BENCH (Hydrofluoric Acid): Personal Protective Equipment required to be worn.
- KOH BENCH (Potassium Hydroxide): Personal Protective Equipment required to be worn.
- SOLVENTS BENCH: Double Nitrile Gloves and Safety Glasses required to be worn.
------> Note: Personal Protective Equipment or "PPE" consists of:
- 1) Acid Resistant Apron (Green) - PUT ON FIRST, Remove Last
- 2) Face Shield - PUT ON SECOND, Remove Second
- 3) Trionic E-194 Tripoly Acid Resistant Gloves - PUT ON LAST, Remove First
Write Name and Date on the cuff of both Trionic gloves when opening package.
Wet Benches inside the Optical Lithography Room:
- DEVELOP BENCH: BASE/CAUSTIC processing only. Double Nitrile Gloves and Safety Glasses required to be worn. Solvent Develop must be done on the SOLVENT BENCH in the Wet Chemistry Room.
Available Fume Hoods inside the Optical Lithography Room:
- SPINNER BENCH: Laurell 1 (SU8 only), Laurell 2 (Positive,nLOF SPR), and Headway Spinner (Large Substrates and special Coatings) Solvent Hood.
- HOT PLATE BENCH: Torrey Pines Scientific hot plate(programable up to 350C), Two - Fairweather TPS88 hot plates(Non-Programable up to 150C) Solvent Hood.
Wet Benches located inside the E-beam Lithography Area:
- DEVELOP and SPINNER BENCH: SOLVENT processing only. Double Nitrile Gloves and Safety Glasses required to be worn.
Hazardous Waste Handling:
- AUTOMATIC BOTTLE WASHER: Located inside the Wet Chemistry Room
- SATELLITE ACCUMULATION AREA: For storage of TAGGED FULL WASTE BOTTLES, the cart is located in the Oxford Chase next to the Water Chiller. There is a bin on the floor next to the cart for storage of "DOUBLE BAGGED AND TAGGED" waste which can also be used for TAGGED ITEMS that do not fit inside the cart.
Chemistry Procedures and Safety
- Wet Chemistry Safety Procedures - Requesting new chemical, PPE Overview, Hazardous Waste Handling and Labeling, Decanting Chemicals, Hot Plate Rules, Buddy System, Secondary Containment and Other Best Practices.
- Wet Chemistry Resources Page - Contains fabrication recipes and procedures
- Search for Safety Data Sheets (SDS) - New Chemical Search (Web Search)
- Lab Rules & Safety - KNI cleanroom safety handbook
Chemical Safety Data Sheet Lists
Requesting New Chemicals
- Always review the SAFETY DATA SHEET of the new chemical being requested before submitting a request.
- Submit the request through email to the KNI Lab Safety Officer - Bert Mendoza
- In the email request, include: (1)SAFETY DATA SHEET, (2)PROCESS to be used with the new chemical and the (3)AMOUNT of chemical to be brought into the KNI Lab.
- The KNI Lab provides many chemicals for processing. If the requested chemical will improve your process and can be valuable to other members, include the reasons in the request. Staff may decide it would be beneficial to provide the new chemical for all members and add it to the Chemicals Provided by the KNI with typical SDS list.
- If the chemical is unique to your process, you will be required to supply the chemical and the chemical will be added to the Approved Chemicals with typical SDS list.
- Do not bring in any chemicals into the KNI Lab before receiving an approval that your chemical has been allowed to be used inside the lab.