Lab Rules & Safety
KNI Lab Rules and Safety Documents
KNI Lab Rules
All KNI users must follow the guidelines listed below, including the updated general SOPs for entry and exit and Labrunr tool reservations. In order to protect the safety of all KNI lab users and staff, repeated violations to these policies will result in revocation of lab access.
- Read Caltech's Coronavirus Information Website for the most up-to-date guidelines and resources.
- Masking in all indoor settings, with the exception of instructional spaces or environments where it is otherwise explicitly indicated, will be voluntary effective Monday, October 3, 2022.
- The cleanroom requires wearing a beard cover, surgical or procedure mask, N95, KN95, or KF95 mask at all times.
- Individuals who are ill or experiencing symptoms of illness are not to come to campus or report for on-site work.
- All Caltech students, employees, and external affiliates must comply with campus vaccination requirements.
- Individuals who do not report regularly to campus or who have other questions about the testing program and how it applies to them, may find additional information on the Caltech Together site or contact email@example.com.
- Lab members are allowed to use the KNI 24 hours per day, 7 days per week.
- The KNI Lab’s safety, hygiene, density, and physical distancing requirements:
- KNI Buddy System SOP
- KNI Lab Occupancy Limit: Maximum 41 people allowed in the lab at any given time.
- No food or drinks are allowed in the cleanroom. This includes the gowning room B207. Food or drinks may be stored outside the lab entrance on the wire rack.
- Training for lab members will be in-person and may also include hybrid remote (Slack / Zoom).
- The KNI technical staff members will operate on five days per week in-lab schedule unless there are schedule conflicts. Staff will either be working in their offices or telecommuting. Some delay in response to equipment requests is to be expected.
- KNI visitors may be hosed by KNI members.
- VISITOR RULES: (notify visitors of the dress code prior to visit)
- Visitor must be properly attired to visit the lab: Long pants, closed-toe shoes, and at least short-sleeved shirt are required.
- Visitor must wear the cleanroom garments correctly.
- Visitor HOURS: 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. Monday – Friday. (unless approved prior to visit)
- Visit may not exceed 2 hours in length. (unless approved prior to visit)
- Visitor may not operate any equipment, participate in training, or handle any chemicals.
- Host shall instruct visitor in the location and use of emergency exits and safety stations.
- Visitor shall remain with Host AT ALL TIMES DURING THE VISIT.
KNI Lab General SOPs
- KNI Lab Entry and Exit SOP - SOP for entering the sub-basement, gowning, de-gowning, and leaving the sub-basement.
- KNI Lab Entry Video - Video showing proper way to put on the cleanroom attire.
- KNI Lab Exit Video - Video showing proper way to take off and hang the cleanroom attire.
- KNI Equipment Scheduling Policy - This is the General Reservation Policy. Check the TOOL Wiki page for any special reservation rules associated with that piece of equipment.
KNI Lab Safety Documents
- KNI Emergency Procedures presentation - Provides an overview of Emergency Procedures specific to the KNI cleanroom.
- KNI Workplace Specific Safety Training presentation - Provides an overview of Safety Procedures specific to the KNI cleanroom.
- KNI User Handbook and Operation Procedures - Provides a broad overview of the information needed specific to the KNI Cleanroom.
- KNI Safety Manual - Provides a broad overview of information for Referenced Documents, Safety Requirements, and Chemical Safety Information.
- KNI Safety Data Sheets (SDS) - a link to the KNI Wet Chemistry page.
KNI Safety Presentations
- KNI Cleanroom Safety Review 2016
- KNI Cleanroom Safety Review 2018
- KNI Cleanroom Safety Review 2019
- KNI Cleanroom Safety Review 2022
Caltech Safety Documents
- Caltech Chemical Hygiene Plan - Provides a broad overview of the information needed for safely working with hazardous chemicals in the laboratory.
- Caltech Hazardous Waste Management Guide - Provides a broad overview of information on Hazardous Waste determination, handling and disposal requirements, etc.
- Caltech Personal Protective Equipment - Appropriate Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) must match the task hazards and equipment is prescribed when hazards cannot be eliminated by administrative or engineering controls.