The Kavli Nanoscience Institute Laboratory at Caltech
A look inside the KNI Laboratory cleanroom
|Advancing multidisciplinary research in nanoscience
|Fields of Research
Quantum Matter & Technology,
Medical & Biological Engineering,
|California Institute of Technology
Campus Building #81
|Julia R. Greer
About the KNI
The Kavli Nanoscience Institute (KNI) Laboratory, located at the California Institute of Technology, spans 10,000 ft2 across two facilities, primary among them the 7,500 ft2 controlled-environment cleanroom in the Steele Building sub-basement, where the majority of lithography, deposition, etching, microscopy, and supporting instrumentation is located. Managed by full-time technical staff and available for use by researchers at Caltech and other academic, government and industrial institutions, the KNI Laboratory is equipped for — and dedicated to — exploring the limits of nanofabrication.
This lab site contains resources that are meant to maximize our users' ability to be safe, informed, productive KNI lab members. We also welcome non-KNI members to learn about our lab and make use of any resources provided on this site.
- Sidebar: See the left-hand sidebar for general information, links to equipment categories, and other resources
- Equipment List: Find resources for any given instrument (e.g. SOPs, troubleshooting, presentations, manuals, videos, specifications)
- Equipment Reservations: Go to the KNI's LabRunr site to make reservations to use the equipment
- KNI Document Library: Find resources grouped by instrument type
- KNI YouTube Channel: Video tutorials, which are also linked to from individual instrument pages
- The KNI Website: Official information on KNI programs, research, publications, and news
- SUGGESTION BOX: Please send all SUGGESTIONS to help improve the KNI Lab to Guy DeRose.
To receive staff & user updates on individual instruments (or groups of instruments), go to Email Lists and subscribe to all relevant lists.
Contacting the KNI
For general or specific inquiries, go to KNI Staff Members and use the information there to contact the appropriate individual(s).
New KNI Users
To become a KNI lab user, see the information and forms provided on New User Forms.
KNI User Offboarding
The Offboarding SOP must be completed when ending your KNI Lab membership. It lists items such as Labrunr, Stored Items, Chemicals, Stored Data/Files, etc, which should to be addressed before your membership ends.