Overview of KNI Lab User Fees
Note: Rates below are valid beginning October 1, 2021 and are subject to change
- Fees are incurred on a pay-as-you-go basis. (tools are charged by the hour or portion thereof)
- Caltech/JPL/Academic or Government lab members are NOT charged any Lab fees during calendar months of non-use.
Caltech Academic Usage Rates
Below is a table of hourly rates for the equipment in the KNI Laboratory. Caltech/JPL users receive a quarterly fee cap for use of the cleanroom equipment in the KNI Lab. *NOTE:The maximum direct lab costs for cleanroom equipment that an individual Caltech/JPL user will be charged, per billing quarter, is $6,500.
|Equipment Name||Lab Area||Hourly Rate|
|Cleanroom Hourly Rate||General KNI Cleanroom Use||$28|
|AJA Orion UHV Chalcogenide Sputter System||Evaporation, Sputtering||$62|
|AJA Orion UHV Dielectric Sputter System||Evaporation, Sputtering||$62|
|CHA MK40 E-Beam Evaporator||Evaporation, Sputtering||$62|
|Lesker Labline E-Beam Evaporator||Evaporation, Sputtering||$62|
|Bruker Dimension ICON AFM||Microscopy||$62|
|FEI Nova 200 NanoLab Dualbeam FIB/SEM||Microscopy||$62|
|FEI Nova 600 Dualbeam Focused Ion Beam||Microscopy||$62|
|FEI Quanta ESEM /NPGS||Microscopy||$62|
|FEI Sirion FESEM||Microscopy||$62|
|FEI Tecnai TF-30 TEM, STEM, EDS & HAADF||Microscopy *Not Capped*||$90|
|Zeiss Orion NanoFab||Microscopy||$79|
|Oxford Dielectric System 100 ICP/RIE||Deposition, Etch||$89|
|Oxford DRIE System 100 ICP/RIE||Deposition, Etch||$89|
|Oxford FlexAl ALD System||Deposition, Etch||$89|
|Oxford III-V System 100 ICP/RIE||Deposition, Etch||$89|
|Oxford PECVD System 100||Deposition, Etch||$89|
|Plasmatherm Reactive Ion Etch||Deposition, Etch||$89|
|XeF2 silicon etcher||Deposition, Etch||$89|
|Raith EBPG 5000+ Electron Beam Writer||Electron Beam Lithography *Not Capped*||$115|
|Raith EBPG 5200 Electron Beam Writer||Electron Beam Lithography *Not Capped*||$115|
|GCA 6300 DSW Stepper||Optical Lithography||$62|
|Heidelberg DWL-66||Optical Lithography||$62|
|NILT CNI-PV 2.1 Nanoimprint||Optical Lithography||$62|
|Nanoscribe Photonic Professional GT||Optical Lithography||$62|
|Suss Microtech MA6 Aligner||Optical Lithography||$62|
|Suss Microtech MA6/BA6 Aligner||Optical Lithography||$62|
|Dynatex GST-150 Scriber/Breaker||Support & Misc Tools||$44|
|Para Tech LabTop 3000 Parylene Coater||Support & Misc Tools||$44|
|Suss SB6L Wafer Bonder||Support & Misc Tools||$44|
|Tousimis Critical Point Dryer||Support & Misc Tools||$44|
|Tystar Tytan Dry Oxide + annealing||Support & Misc Tools||$44|
|Tystar Tytan Wet + Dry Oxide + annealing||Support & Misc Tools||$44|
|Westbond 7476D Wire Bonder||Support & Misc Tools||$44|
|Woolam M-2000 Spectroscopic Ellipsometer||Support & Misc Tools||$44|
FEE CAP EXCEPTIONS
- EBPG 5000+ and 5200 systems are not included in the quarterly academic/government rate cap. Actual hours will be billed.
- TF-30 STEM in Keck Building: Lab members who only use the TF-30 are exempt from paying the General Cleanroom hourly rate. TF-30 use is not included in the quarterly academic/government rate cap. Actual hours will be billed.
- Precious Metal (gold and platinum) usage will be billed the market rate, per gram.
- Dedicated KNI Staff Labor/Support for Research is $100/hr.
OVERHEAD FEE/INDIRECT COST
- Rates for JPL, Non-Caltech Academic, Government, and Corporate KNI lab members will be subject to Caltech's F&A (indirect/"overhead") costs. The F&A rate for fiscal year 2022 is 68.4%
For information on the KNI corporate lab membership plan, please send an email to email@example.com with details regarding 1) the number of people looking to join as KNI lab members, 2) equipment needs, 3) anticipated start date, and 4) information about the company. Startup companies may qualify for limited-term reduced rates.