KNI Lab Rules and Safety Documents
KNI Lab Rules
All KNI users must follow the guidelines listed below, including the updated general SOPs for entry and exit and Labrunr tool reservations. In order to protect the safety of all KNI lab users and staff, repeated violations to these policies will result in revocation of lab access.
|Current Phase: 5|
- Effective June 24, 2021 at 8:00 am, lab members will be able to use the KNI 24 hours per day, 7 days per week with increased density per the documents found below.
Mandatory protocols for the phased re-opening of the KNI Lab:
- Read and follow Caltech's Coronavirus Information Guidelines on Returning to Campus
- While all members of the community are still required to check for symptoms of illness before reporting on-site, we no longer will ask everyone to complete the health attestation form or to record the building locations they visit each day. Individuals who are ill or experiencing symptoms of illness are not to come to campus or report for on-site work.
- All unvaccinated individuals reporting to campus must participate in Caltech's on-campus COVID surveillance testing. Individuals who have submitted proof of full vaccination will no longer need to participate in the Institute's surveillance testing program when they report to campus. However, individuals may not voluntarily remove themselves from the surveillance testing program; an individual's fully vaccinated status must be confirmed through the Institute's COVID-19 Vaccination Documentation application. Individuals who do not report regularly to campus or who have other questions about the testing program and how it applies to them, may find additional information on the Caltech Together site or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- All employees and students who have not documented their vaccination status with the Institute are considered unvaccinated and will be required to wear a face covering in all indoor environments. A surgical mask (provided by KNI) or a personal face covering / respirator with a beard cover over it as a cleanroom barrier may also continue to be used by those individuals. This was the requirement for everyone through Phase 4.
- Unvaccinated community members and unvaccinated campus visitors are required to wear a face covering when accessing indoor public spaces.
- Fully vaccinated individuals who prefer to wear a face covering may continue to do so. We hope that all members of our community will show respect for different individual decisions.
- The KNI Lab’s safety, hygiene, density, and physical distancing requirements:
- KNI Buddy System SOP - Phase 4 & 5
- KNI Buddy System SOP - Phase 1,2 & 3
- KNI Cleanroom Sanitation and Wipedown SOP - Phase 5: Follow standard KNI Cleanroom procedures outlined in the KNI Handbook and Operation Procedures
- KNI Cleanroom Sanitation and Wipedown SOP - Phase 1,2,3 & 4
- KNI Lab Entrance/Exit Room B207 - Phase 5: Four people are allowed to use the entrance gowning room at the same time: Social distancing is in effect in the "No Standing Zone".
- KNI Lab Entrance/Exit Room B207 - Phase 4: Two people are allowed to use the entrance gowning room at the same time - Only one person allowed inside the "No Standing Zone" and the "Changing Zones" at any time.
- Phase 1,2 & 3 - Only one person is allowed to use the entrance gowning room at any time.
- KNI Lab Occupancy Limit - Phase 5: Maximum 41 people allowed in the lab at any given time. Limits on room-by-room density of personnel have been lifted.
- KNI Lab Occupancy Limit - Phase 4: Maximum 37 people allowed in the lab at any given time with Room Area Occupancy Limit Restrictions.
- KNI Lab Occupancy Limit - Phase 1,2 & 3: Maximum 21 people allowed in the lab at any given time.
- Training for both returning and new lab members will continue with the hybrid remote and limited in-person equipment and new user/general safety training plans that began during earlier phases.
- The KNI technical staff members will operate on four days per week in-lab schedule (starting June 1, 2021), unless there are schedule conflicts. Staff will either be working in their offices or telecommuting on the days they do not report to the lab. Some delay in response to equipment requests is to be expected.
- Steele building elevator occupancy:
- Phase 5 - Max 7000 pounds weight limit, 46 persons Max.
- Phase 4 - Only two people are allowed to use the elevator at a time.
- Phase 3 - Only one person allowed to use the elevator at a time.
- Phase 1 & 2 - RESTRICTED USE OF THE ELEVATOR: Use South Stairwell. (One person allowed to use the elevator ONLY when transporting items)
KNI Lab General SOPs
KNI Lab Safety Documents
KNI Safety Presentations
Caltech Safety Documents
California Nanosafety Consortium of Higher Education