Role in the KNI
Kelly is the Laboratory Technician for the Kavli Nanoscience Institute (KNI) at the California Institute of Technology. Kelly manages the KNI's suite of plasma etch and chemical vapor deposition systems, as well as the systems for wet and dry oxidation and annealing. In her roll, Kelly trains new researchers to operate the equipment and provides technical support for helping users carry out their projects' objectives.
Kelly joined Caltech in 2017 as a graduate student in the Atwater research group in the Applied Physics & Materials Science department where she completed her master's. She returned in July 2021 as the laboratory technician for the KNI.
Kelly received her M.S. in Materials Science from Caltech and B.S. degrees in Electrical Engineering and in Physics from the University of Arkansas at Fayetteville.
Chemical Vapor Deposition (CVD)
- Atomic Layer Deposition (ALD): Oxford Instruments FlexAL II
- Plasma-Enhanced Chemical Vapor Deposition (PECVD): Oxford Instruments System 100
- Silicon Etcher: Oxford Instruments DRIE System 100 Bosch & Cryo ICP-RIE
- III-V Material, Metal & Silicon Etcher: Oxford Instruments System 100 ICP-RIE
- Dielectric Material Etcher: Oxford Instruments Dielectric System 100 ICP-RIE
- Silicon, III-V Material & Organics Etcher: Plasma-Therm Dual Chamber RIE
- Oxygen & Argon Plasma Cleaner: PIE Scientific Tergeo Plus ICP- & CCP-RIE
- XeF2 Etcher for Silicon